- THE KHALILI DIFFERENCE
- ABOUT BARIATRIC SURGERY
- WHAT ARE
- LIFE AFTER
There are several benefits of regular exercise:
- Speeds up recovery from surgery
- Helps the body burn fat
- Builds strength and endurance
- Improves movement in joints and muscles
- Helps the heart and lungs work better
- Helps manage stress
- Improves oxygen delivery and metabolic processes
- Boosts energy levels
- Improves sense of well-being and overall quaiity of life
The Khalili Center Walking Program
The easiest exercise for most people is walking. The Khalii Center will help you begin a walking program—and give you lots of incentives and support to stay on it. For example, we give all our patients a pedometer, a small device that counts the number of steps taken in a day. We want you to start your journey right and it’s a great motivator—it helps you stay on track by monitoring your own progress to reach achievable goals.
Another important aspect of our fitness program is the monthly “Walk with a Doctor” meet-ups that provide a healthy way for patients and doctors to interact and work out together. We also sponsor a Walk for Life, an annual walking event that combines exercise and outreach to promote wellness and a long-term commitment to fighting obesity in the community.
Here are some general tips on how to start a walking regimen:
Walk slowly for 2 ½ minutes, and then pick up the pace for 5 minutes, followed by another 2 ½ minutes at a slow pace for a total of 10 minutes. Do this 3 times a day, every day, for the first week you are home after your surgery. Increase the duration of your talking time every week. Make it fun by walking to your favorite music (nothing too slow, though), walking outside on a scenic path, in a park or on a beach. If the weather is cold or rainy, walk in the mall with friends.
Integrate fitness into your everyday life.
You’d be surprised at all the small changes you can make to improve your health:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Part at the far end of the parking lots
- Get up and stretch and walk around the place your work as often as you can
- Stand up while talking on the phone
- Mix in other forms of exercise you like: swimming, bike riding, water aerobics, stair climbing, etc.